Saturday, September 19, 2009

BYU Music workshop Aug. 1999 Notes and memory

WOW 10 years ago I attended what was to be the last music workshop BYU held. I stayed in the dorms, which is the way to go. I had a great time and learned a lot. Here are a few abbreviated notes.

* Hymn singing in the family is effective crowd control. - BYU English Prof.

* When you feel the spirit, we are feeling eternity. - Bro. Goldstien ( Marvin )

* All over the world the most notable bond through the church is music. Bro. Goldstein

My two sweetest memories were the morning hymn singing. Gathered here were people who love to sing and know how to harmonize. It was balm to my soul.
The other being the choir experience. Previous to attending I rec'd my packet of sheet music. There were only 4 days to put together a concert. At least 200 were participating. At times during rehearsal I had to stop singing because I was overcome with emotion being surrounded by beautiful voices and the lyrics.

One of the songs was Come Thou Long Expected Jesus. Text by Charles Wesley, music by Allen Koepke

Come thou long expected Jesus
born to set thy people free: from our fears and sins release us: let us find our rest in thee.
Isael's strength and consolation, hope of all the earth's thou art,
dear desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart.

Born thou people to deliver, born a child, and yet a king: born to reign in us forever, now thy garcious kingdom bring.
By thine own eternal spirit rule in all the hearts alone: by thine all sufficient merit reaise us to thy glorious throne.

Come thou long expected Jesus, let us find our rest in thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment